Monday, May 15, 2006

RAIN!


I have never witnessed so much rain in my life, at least that I can remember. It has been raining almost non-stop for nearly two weeks now, and it's not supposed to stop until this weekend. It's rained so much in Massachusetts that quite a few schools were forced to close. Look at the flood pictures here and here. It's insane. Thankfully my area wasn't hit nearly this hard. We haven't had any flooding thus far, as far as I know, though I'm not ruling it out since we still have several days of rain left. Our basement is prone to flooding; it's flooded before over only one night of rain so frankly I'm surprised it hasn't flooded yet.

This past Friday was my senior class trip to Six Flags New England. Of course I was psyched because I had been dying to ride some rollercoasters and hang out with my friends. We planned to arrive at the park at 10 a.m. and stay until 4, which would give us plenty of time to ride everything that we wanted to... but of course we didn't plan on the weather ruining our plans. It was already raining pretty hard when we got there but we were still optimistic. We rode the Cyclone and were completely drenched as a result. This was where our optimism began to wane. We were wet and cold, but were still in a good enough mood for more rides, so we trekked all the way to the other side of the park, only to find the Mind Eraser and the Batman were closed due to the weather, along with many of the other rides. After we ate lunch we were so soaked and cold that we decided we couldn't last any longer in the clothes that we were in. We, along with half of the other people in the park, were in the stores buying dry shirts, pants, sweatshirts, etc. I bought a big comfy pair of man pants and returned to our bus in the parking lot to change. There wasn't one person on the trip that was miserable because of the weather, so we left two hours early. It was a really disappointing trip.

Prom is this Friday. Currently I'm still trying to work out my plans for before and after, and I'm beginning to think that it's a lot more stress than it's worth. It's bad enough that I don't have a date. Anyway, I need to avoid trailing off into something depressing. Graduation is in 18 days. It's going to go by really fast because I'm going to be really busy for the next few weeks until then. There's prom this weekend, and then next weekend I'm going up to Maine and I'll be working the whole time (which I'm actually really looking forward to). The weekend after that I will no longer be in high school and I will be attending graduation parties, including my own on that Sunday. I can't believe how fast this is all going!

I came across this blog the other day. I'm hoping it's some kind of sick joke but I don't think that's the case at all. I'm really disgusted by his post that compares the current Iraq War casualties to those of other American wars in the past. This "Big Brother" states that the Iraq War is, apparently, "a war we can afford." This comment really drives me over the edge. It shows a complete and utter disregard for the value of human life (though I suppose that's what war is, anyway). Comparing the deaths of one war to another does absolutely nothing. Each war is completely different, completely different circumstances with different causes and results. And frankly, it is not "affordable" to lose even one life, American or not. I don't understand how people like President Bush fail to see the importance of each and every human life.

Anyway, I should stop until I get too carried away. If any of you have been wondering why I haven't been posting as frequently as usual, I blame it on Family Guy. Ever since I found this genius website, I've been devoting several hours of my day just to watching Family Guy episodes. Time well spent, I think. After I finish all of these episodes I think I'm going to move on to some of the other shows and the music videos, too.

The season finale of Grey's Anatomy will be on soon, so I'm going to go get settled in front of the TV in time for it. Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home