Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Boston, the radio, and a college weekend

Yesterday I went into Boston with my mom for a meeting with the Financial Aid Office at Simmons. I heard basically the same things I had already heard a bunch of times - Simmons tuition costs, different types of loans, etc. I originally thought I might be able to get more financial aid from them, even a work study or something, but apparently the aid that Simmons offered me is final.

We were only in the office for about fifteen minutes, and we obviously weren't about to spend only fifteen minutes in Boston, so we drove over to the garage in Boston Common and walked to Downtown Crossing. First we went into So Good Jewelry (yes, the infamous jewelry store from the trip that Morgan and I took to Boston a month ago) to look for some jewelry to go with my prom dress. Despite the enormous selection, I didn't find anything great. I came up with one necklace that was decent but $30. Needless to say we did not splurge and decided to look around elsewhere. We went to Claire's and bought a few pieces for a total of $14. Now all I have left to get for prom is a pair of shoes. These are perfect, but a bit pricey. As you can imagine, it's difficult to find gold sequined strappy shoes for cheap.

We also did a bit of shopping at H&M and Filene's Basement, so after a few hours I left Boston quite satisfied with a new outfit. I will probably wear it this weekend during my excursion to Farmland, aka Northampton and (namely) Amherst. Yep, it's this weekend. I'm leaving tomorrow at 11 to pick up Morgan and then we're heading straight to Smith where we will likely skip most of the activities planned for us to run around Northampton unsupervised. After spending the night there, the next day sometime in the afternoon we'll go to UMass Amherst. We're spending the night there, too. Morgan and I staying over a Friday night at ZooMass - can you imagine? I'll probably have many interesting blog topics by the time I return home Saturday afternoon. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I think I've found my new radio station: WBCN. Although I don't like some of the songs they play, it's the only station I can find that's closest to my taste. I listened to it all day today. Earlier they were giving away Red Sox tickets (a home game against the Yankees!) so I tried to call in to win those, but alas I didn't even get through once. Just a little while ago they were giving away Strokes tickets, and even though I probably wouldn't be able to go, I tried anyway. I actually got through that time - I was caller 12, two short of the winning number. I had my home phone up to one ear and my cellphone up to the other, repeatedly pressing redial on each one. At one point both of them were ringing at once - it would ring in one ear, then the other, and so on - but it rang endlessly so after a few minutes I just hung up since they had clearly already picked caller 14.

It's been a long time since I called in to a radio station to try to win something so I forgot how much of a rush it is. You're so used to the line being busy that when it finally rings you get all excited thinking maybe you're the right caller. I think the last time I called in was back when I listened to rap. The rap/hip hop station in Boston is Jam'n 94.5, and every Friday they had a countdown of the top songs that week. If you called in at the end of the countdown and correctly named all of the songs they had just played you would win a prize. One night I was bored (much like today) and decided to give it a try. I wrote all of the songs down on a piece of paper and, after the last song had played, I dialed the number. I expected it to be busy as usual during radio contests, but instead it rang on my first try. I asked him if he had given away the prize yet, and he said no, so I read off my list and voila! I had won, easy as that. The prize: an XBox. That was the only good thing that came out of my brief affinity for rap. A pretty good thing, I would say.

Well, it's already 10 pm and I have yet to pack for my long weekend. I should get going on that since I don't even know what I'm going to wear yet. I have to choose something cute yet seductive because, of course, there will be boys at UMass, and cute yet seductive clothing is imperative in this type of situation. I'm referring directly to the type of situation in which a high school girl visits a college and attempts to impress the older, hotter, and more mature (ha!) college boys. Yes, that would be this situation exactly.

So, enough of my babbling. I will, of course, inform you all of my (hopefully) amazingly fun-filled weekend probably on Saturday on Sunday. Ciao!

1 Comments:

Blogger TJ Quin said...

hahahahahhaa. you'll have a good time this weekend, trust me!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home