Wednesday, April 05, 2006

September 11, 2001

United 93When I saw Inside Man in theaters a few weeks ago, one of the trailers was for the movie United 93, about United Flight 93, one of the planes that was hijacked on September 11. This was the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania, supposedly headed for Washington D.C. until the passengers forced the hijackers to make a crash landing. The trailer was very intense and difficult to watch, just knowing that it had actually happened to real people. I was nearly on the verge of tears for the whole trailer, so I can only imagine what it would be like if I were ever to see the whole movie. I'm sure I won't - I highly doubt I could handle it emotionally.

According to this article, I wasn't the only one affected emotionally by the trailer. I'm not sure if the New York theater was right for pulling the trailer, but I suppose if the trailer alone would stop people from going to the movies then it would be in the theater's best interest. On the other hand, who would avoid going to the movies just because of an upsetting movie trailer? As for the movie, I can't decide whether or not it is too soon since 9/11 to be shown or even made. Many people have not yet healed and are still extremely sensitive; four and a half years is a short time for something like this. However, I think some people need to be reminded of the event and how terrorism is still a huge threat to us, even four and a half years later. Plus, the film honors the passengers of United 93, commending them as heroes for attempting to thwart the hijackers' plan.

Zacarias MoussaouiThis op-ed article brings up not only September 11 but the death penalty as well. The author, who lost her husband on United Flight 175, discusses the possible death sentence for Zacarias Moussaoui, a man whose mug shot (pictured at right) you will probably recognize as it has been shown on the news many times. Moussaoui pleaded guilty to being involved in the September 11 conspiracy. I completely agree with the author's statement that although Moussaoui absolutely deserves the death penalty, he absolutely should not receive it. To put it simply, we would be stooping to his level. She asks, "Do we want to characterize ourselves as a nation committed to pure vengeance with nothing more to be gained?" Of course not.

Not only is this true for Moussaoui's case but for nearly all criminals sentenced to death. My opinion on capital punishment has never been solid; although I have always been against it, there are often cases in which I feel whole-heartedly that the criminal deserves to die for his or her action. However, this still cannot overcome the immorality and inhumanity (yes, that's a word, I even looked it up) of the death penalty. After reading that article, I have been able to accurately state my position on capital punishment: although the criminal may fully deserve death, imposing the death penalty on him or her would be equally evil. It is simply meaningless revenge.

Anyway, I don't usually blog this late, but I'm not going to be in school tomorrow because of my hearing so I get to sleep in a bit. Speaking of my hearing, I have thought a little about what I'm going to say in my defense, and this is what I've come up with:
I had just turned onto Central Ave from Groton Harvard Road and I had only traveled a few hundred feet so it's impossible for me to have been going more than 40 mph [The officer said I had been going 46 in a 30]. Also, I had not yet seen a speed limit sign, and the officer estimated my speed as he was traveling toward me from the opposite direction.
That's a pretty good argument, no? I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to win. If I don't, and even if they offer to lower the fine, I'm going to request a second trial. I really hope that doesn't happen because I'll probably have to wait another five months, and by that time, holy crap I'll already be in college. There's no way I'll want to be pulled away from some party at UMass or wherever the hell I end up just to go to a silly hearing for a speeding ticket. Let's just hope this works out in my favor.

Well, now I'm really getting tired, so I think I'm going to get ready for bed. I'll probably blog again tomorrow with the verdict of my hearing. Cross your fingers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home