Sunday, March 19, 2006

It's prom season already?

I was successful in finding a prom dress yesterday, though it took a while. First we went to Macy's, and although I tried a ton of dresses on I couldn't find one that I didn't think was gross and cheap-looking. After wasting a few hours there, we went into Lord & Taylor. Immediately upon walking in I felt rather out of place because of all the designer things they had there, but as opposed to Macy's, I saw tons of dresses that I really liked. I must have tried at least 20 dresses on, most of them too expensive for me to buy anyway, and I ended up narrowing it down to two: both blue, one knee-length halter with rhinestone trim around the neck, and the other floor-length with beaded embellishments. Although I liked the halter better, it showed way, way too much cleavage (usually I don't mind this, but in this case there was an overwhelming amount of flesh showing and it was just not appropriate), so I chose the other one, shown at left but in light blue (a much better color than the melon pink in the picture). I'm still not sure if I like it, though. First of all, I don't like floor-length dresses, and this dress is pretty much as floor-length as you can get (it will actually need to be hemmed quite a bit). Also, it tends to just hang on my body like a limp piece of fabric. I want something that hugs my curves (as cliche as that is) because that's what is most flattering for my shape. I'm going to try it on a few more times to finally decide if I really like it; otherwise I'm going to return it and try to find another one. If I do decide to keep it, I will have to have it altered a lot, mostly to shorten it so it's not dragging on the floor and also around my torso so it doesn't just hang there as much.

This is absurd. Do we really need to mention the war in Iraq at every possible opportunity? Next they'll be suggesting a moment of silence during Desperate Housewives. I'm also wondering how Stein considers failing to honor the troops during the Oscars "spitting in the face of Americans." Apparently we should all be deeply offended, but it seems he is the only one. He's making a big stink about nothing and needs to focus his attention elsewhere.

Yesterday I got my financial aid package from Simmons. They're only giving me $4625 in loans. They did already give me a $10,000 scholarship, but it's still not enough for my family to afford it. My scholarship basically takes care of room & board, and with the loans there is still about $21,000 worth of tuition and fees to pay each year, more than my family can afford. I have applied for several scholarships so far and I will be applying for more in the future (though most of them I know I don't have any chance of winning), plus there are many local scholarships that I will be applying for as well. Hopefully I'll win some scholarships that will lower the cost of college for me, but I know if I do, it will not be a lot. I'm going to be deep in debt when I graduate.

Right now I'm supposed to be working on a paper that's due tomorrow in my World Lit class. Basically I have to analyze the works of Percy Bysshe Shelley - something I have no idea how to go about doing. My teacher simply gave us the assignment without explaining how to do it. I don't think she realizes that none of us have done a literary analysis paper before and we have no clue what we're doing. Right now my lowest grade in all of my classes is World Lit; a B-. I know that's not a bad grade, and I'm not complaining. In fact, I'm pretty satisfied - I expected to be doing worse. I'm slacking off a lot... and I don't really care, seeing as how it's my last semester of high school ever, and I've already gotten into college. Just as long as it doesn't drop below an 80, I'm all set.

Anyway, I should probably get to work on that paper now. If I want to keep my World Lit grade 80+ then I'll have to get a decent grade on this paper, which means putting a decent amount of effort into it. I guess that means I'll have to end this blog. Ciao.

2 Comments:

Blogger TJ Quin said...

hahah, I watched morgan dress shop last year, that was fun.

I used to love Ben Stein, now, I don't know about him.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, you seem to have a very well put together blog here!

Regards,
Wedding Camera

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home