Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Please, Boston, be creative!

Hollywood Walk of FameAccording to this article, Boston might be getting its own Walk of Fame, modeled after the original in Hollywood. Boston's Walk of Fame would honor artists (which includes actors, musicians, etc.) from the Boston area, and would be located in the Theater District. Supporters claim that this would attract more tourists, and would make the Theater District more "vibrant" and would bring more "pride" and "excitement." As for the design, some people have suggested that there be lobsters or codfish instead of the traditional star.

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I think it might be kind of neat to add something new to the Theater District, such as more glitz and glamour. But then again, Boston is known for its historical image; why change that? Something like this might not fit in with the cobblestone streets. Also, I wish we could come up with something more original instead of something that has been copied many times. I don't want Boston to be just another city that hopped on the bandwagon - originality would be much more valuable. And while the lobster or codfish design might be quirky and unique to Boston, it's still a bit tacky. Overall, I don't think Boston should attempt to cash in on something that's been overdone and is bordering on cliche (I realize the "e" should be accented, but for some reason those characters won't work here). I'm all for bringing more pride and excitement to the Theater District, but perhaps if someone were to come up with something more creative, something that hasn't been done before, I would be more supportive.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep this blog short because I have a lot to do tonight. I already mailed two scholarship applications earlier today, so that's one thing I can cross off my to-do list. I've also decided to apply for the Honors Program at Simmons, and that application will take a bit of work. I'll have to write a 400-500 word essay and another shorter essay. The deadline for "priority consideration" is tomorrow, and they won't accept any applications after April 1. I really would rather have met the priority deadline, but I didn't decide to apply to the program until very recently. Ideally I would like to finish the application tonight so I can mail it tomorrow, but that probably won't happen unless I stay up late, which I'm going to try really hard not to do since I've been exhausted over the past two days from lack of sleep.

I also have to study for my History test tomorrow. I did study the amendments yesterday, but I still probably couldn't tell you half of them off the top of my head so I will have to do a lot more studying tonight. Plus, I haven't even read Chapter 2 yet, which is what half the test will be focused on. Yeah, I'm kind of behind. I'm always completely lost in that class. I'm awful at History.

Well, that's all for today. Nothing else is new. Hopefully I'll have more time to blog tomorrow. 'Til then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home