Saturday, February 25, 2006

Indie films: yay or nay?

StonedYesterday, as I was browsing through my lovely new issue of JANE magazine, I came across the movie review section and found a movie that I would really like to see. It's titled "Stoned," and the synopsis reads:
"Biopic of debauched 1960s rock icon, Brian Jones, the charismatic guitarist who founded the Rolling Stones but was fired in 1969 and found dead at the bottom of his swimming pool a few weeks later."
As a Stones fan myself, I am quite ashamed to admit that I didn't even know this man existed (in my defense, I'm sure there are many other people that didn't know either). Anyway, I watched the trailer and it seems very intriguing. Not only is it about an era that I wish I could have experienced, but I'm sure it will feature some awesome music, too. Unfortunately, since it's a foreign indie-type film, it will have a limited release here in the US, so I'll be lucky if I ever get to see it in theaters. I'm sure it will play in some small movie theater in Boston somewhere, but the chances of me going to Boston just to see this movie are slim to none.

Gael Garcia BernalWhile we're on the topic of indie-type films, I can't decide whether or not I like them. I have seen some that I have liked, and some that I have not liked at all. For example, I really enjoyed The Motorcycle Diaries and Y Tu Mama Tambien. Those were both really good, although I admit I am fairly biased with these films seeing as how I like almost all Spanish films, especially if they feature Gael Garcia Bernal (my favorite actor, pictured directly above) which both of these do. But Spanish films always seem to offer something different that American films just don't have; some kind of substance that I can't exactly define. I think they're more meaningful and real; they don't attempt to hide or mask the truth, and they're completely frank and open (especially Y Tu Mama Tambien and Maria Full of Grace). I also love listening to Spanish, so that helps too.

Me and You and Everyone We KnowOn the other hand, an indie film that I really did not enjoy was Me and You and Everyone We Know. This movie was completely lost on me. I didn't understand the plot, the characters, or basically the entire movie. It was really odd and disturbing, and it just didn't make any sense to me at all. One of the many storylines focused on two teenage girls, I believe they were fifteen, that were so unlike any teenage girls I know or probably will ever know. Basically what happens with them is that they meet a man who writes dirty things to the girls on a sheet of paper that he tapes to his window, which they see when they walk by his house every day. One day he writes something about a blowjob, so in order to find out which of the two girls are better at it, they find a boy from school and offer to perform oral sex on him if he tells them afterwards who was better. After determining that they were both equally skilled in that area of expertise, they decide to go to the older man's house to have sex with him (keep in mind that this is a gross, perverted thirty-something guy that they hardly know and that has been saying completely inappropriate things to them). When they ring his doorbell, he hides and pretends he isn't home, and after waiting a few seconds the girls run away, laughing and smiling. What the hell? How is this realistic at all? I won't even go into the part where a little boy, probably about six years of age, has numerous dirty conversations with a grown woman online. Yep. I really did not understand this movie. If someone could explain it to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyhow, later today I'll be going out with my dad - the first time in a very long time, longer than I can remember. I think he's taking the opportunity to do so because my mom is away in Florida. I'm not sure exactly what we'll be doing, though I think he said something about going to the Ninety Nine and possibly a movie afterwards. He's trying to get my brother, Eric, to go, but Eric is being really reluctant. All he's done this week is sit at home and play video games, and I think he's only showered twice. It's really gross. I don't see how you could spend an entire week doing that.

Well I'm running out of things to say for today's blog, so I suppose I'll leave it here for now. Ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home