Thursday, February 23, 2006

The general theme for today seems to be music

Today was somewhat eventful. I went to the movies with my friend Siobhan, and we did a little bit of shopping afterwards. Because there really aren't any good movies out at the moment (i.e. Date Movie and Big Momma's House... what garbage), it took us a while to decide which movie we wanted to see. We narrowed it down to Firewall and Freedomland, and after flipping a coin for the final decision we found ourselves watching Freedomland. It was a decent movie; interesting, but somewhat confusing because of the many plot lines. Overall, I would probably only recommend it as a rental.

After the movie we went to Newbury Comics. I really wanted to spend a while in there, since it's one of my favorite stores and all, but I felt bad because I knew Siobhan didn't like the store much. Actually, she made it blatantly obvious before we even went inside by stating that the store scared her because it was "weird". So, we were in there for probably about five minutes, and I left with two new CDs: The Subways and The Von Bondies. I have listened to each album once so far and although I wasn't completely blown away, I was pretty impressed. Lately I have been listening to The Strokes' "First Impressions of Earth" a lot, so they do have a lot to live up to. That's a really good album. I really like "Electricityscape," surprisingly because it's heavier than the other songs, and "Vision of Division," because I can't resist drumming on my desk whenever I hear it. "You Only Live Once" is really good, too.

WolfmotherWhile we're on the subject of music, I have really been in love with Wolfmother lately. They're the kind of rock & roll that supposedly died years ago. It's really relieving to know that it is actually still possible to recreate the best music from the best era without completely screwing it up and making a mockery out of it (which is the fate of most of the recent bands that have attempted this). Wolfmother, I think, is flawless, and not only have they succeeded at recreating the best aspects of rock & roll, but they have added their own delicious spin on it as well (also, I absolutely love how they make a reference to Jimi Hendrix in "Dimension"). I have been stalking their MySpace profile for a while now, hoping maybe they'll decide to come to Boston (unlikely - I'm sure they would only do that if they were doing a national tour) but so far their only tour dates are a bunch in the UK and some at SXSW in Texas in March (which a whole lot of the bands I like are going to, especially The Rinse) as well as a couple on the west coast. They do seem to be growing in popularity quite quickly, though, especially after being featured in Filter Magazine (which is how I heard of them) so I'm hoping that a national US tour might not be too far off in the future. I would really love to buy their CD, but it costs about $27 because it's an import, and I'm really not willing to spend that much money on a CD, even if it is Wolfmother. I'm hoping it will be released in the US at a lower price soon. Until then, I'll have to deal with my low-quality mp3 files.

Speaking of tours, The Strokes are currently touring the US... and most of their shows have been sold out. According to their website they are coming to Boston on April 25th, but the tickets haven't gone on sale yet (the date is TBA). Whenever that may be, I'm sure I'll be speed-dialing Ticketmaster and refreshing the website simultaneously the very second the tickets go on sale.

On a side note, I caught the end of "Bom Bom Bom" by Living Things on WAAF today. Maybe there is hope for American radio after all.

Well, I think I've blabbed enough about music for one night. Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home