Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I am done with track.

Well, it's official... I quit track.

Maybe it isn't official, exactly, since I haven't told any of the coaches or any of my team members that I quit. I kind of just stopped showing up.

The last time I was at practice was exactly one week ago, and that was the only day out of the whole week that I actually attended practice. On Monday, Amanda and I simply skipped. On Wednesday, I stayed after to work on a project, even though I had plenty of time afterwards to attend the remainder of the practice. On Thursday, I went out with some friends for Simon's birthday. And on Friday I wasn't in school at all because I was visiting UMass.

At first I had planned to go to track yesterday. However, we had a meet - the first meet of the season. I was unsure if I would be allowed to run since it had been nearly a week since I was at practice, plus I knew I was barely physically prepared to run. I ended up just going home instead, and that was basically the end of it. I figured, I haven't been to practice in almost a week, I've missed the first meet of the season, and I'm going to miss the next meet on Thursday (I will explain the reason for that later)... why bother continuing? Would they even let me?

Of course, the real reason why I quit track is because I'm just too damn lazy. My euphemistic reasoning, if you will, is this: why spend half of the free time I have during the last two months of my senior year doing something I usually do not enjoy doing? I suppose one could argue that I have nothing better to do with my time, so I might as well spend it doing something productive, instead of playing "Cake Mania" online for three hours straight, as I did today after school.

I admit that it probably would be a better, smarter decision to just remain on the track team and stick with it, but since when have I made better, smarter decisions? I am more comfortable with going home every day after school and sitting at the computer for hours rather than running for two hours straight every single day. Who likes running, anyway?

Anyhow, this Thursday at precisely 10:30 in the morning, I have my court hearing. Yes, I have been a bad girl. Well, it's only to contest a speeding ticket. It took them five months after the initial incident to send me the hearing date. Five months. I got the speeding ticket under my permit, and Massachusetts law states that one must have a clean driving record for six months prior to taking the license road test (so if you get your permit when you turn 16, you are allowed to get your license once you're 16 1/2 as long as you have a clean record; any citation adds six months from the date it was issued). Therefore, I have been unable to schedule a test thus far because it hasn't been six months since early November when I got the ticket. If it is stricken from my record on Thursday, not only will I not have to pay the $160 fine, but I will also finally be allowed to go for my license. Otherwise, I will have to wait until the six month period is over, which is about a month from now. Perhaps if they hadn't taken so long to send me the damn hearing date I would have my license already.

As for the speeding ticket itself, I would rather not go into detail about how it came about (not because I'm embarrassed or what not; simply because I have retold the story about seventy-two times and am quite sick of it by now), but I will say with little bias that it was unfair. I have spoken to several people - a few of them are very familiar with the system, since they were my Driver's Ed teachers - and they have all said that it is extremely likely that the ticket will be stricken from my record and that I should only have been given a warning in the first place. Overall I am optimistic about the probable outcome of the hearing.

The new Vines album, "Vision Valley,"was released today. I'm dying to get it, but I don't have much money. My first priority is to buy the newest Sounds album, "Dying to Say This to You,"as well as the self-titled Morningwood album because the concert is in a mere ten days and I must memorize the songs before hand. Plus, I'm going to need to save some money to take with me to Boston. It's unfortunate that I have so little money that I have to prioritize the CDs that I want. I need a job... but to get a job I need a car (well, and a license would be good, too), and to get a car I need a job. It's a vicious circle!

Recently in news:
Anyhow, it's off to the shower for me. Ciao.

1 Comments:

Blogger TJ Quin said...

A SPEEDING TICKET!!!! Well, I guess it's not as embarassing as my ticket. eeeeee.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home