Friday, April 28, 2006

The general theme for today seems to be music (Part III)

VoxtrotI have been severely obsessed with Voxtrot lately. Last night I listened to Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives; The Start of Something; and Raised by Wolves at least five times in a row. I highly recommend indulging in these free mp3s:

Voxtrot - Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives
Voxtrot - The Start of Something

I really don't know what it is about them that makes them so appealing. Listen to those files and maybe you can help me figure it out.

I'm really frustrated that I didn't get to go to their show in Wellesley two weeks ago. It was pretty much the only all ages show in the area that I was remotely interested in. There isn't really much to choose from with all ages shows; they're all 18 or 21+, such as the 18+ Citizen Cope show my friend went to the other night, but of course I couldn't go because I'm five months too young. I couldn't go to the Voxtrot show because it was a school night and there was no way I'd be able to get all the way out to Wellesley, let alone get home in time. Oh well, I'm sure they'll come to my area again sometime within the next year as they are quickly gaining popularity in the indie community.

In the meantime I have been saving up money in my PayPal account, mainly by selling old clothes and other items on eBay, so I can buy a Voxtrot tee and a copy of their EP from their website. Go bid on some of my items, it's a worthy cause!

Wolfmother's Andrew StockdaleMoving on to my next musical obsession: Wolfmother. Their self-titled album is coming out this Tuesday, March 2 (the same day as the new Pearl Jam album, also self-titled), and I am extremely excited. I've already heard all of the songs on it one way or another, three of which were on the Dimensions EP that I just couldn't resist buying, but I still can't wait to own a hard copy of the full album (the problem is scraping up enough money to do so).
[photo credit]

All thirteen tracks are available to listen to on their MySpace, and I would highly recommend doing so. Only ten of the tracks are visible, but if you click on the 10th (Witchcraft [which, may I add, is an excellent song - one of the few, perhaps the only, rock song I've heard that utilizes a flute exceptionally]) and press the "next track" button, you'll be able to access the last three tracks. You don't want to miss them, because they're some of the best songs on the whole album: Tales, Love Train, and Vagabond. Hmm, apparently it's been fixed so twelve of the tracks are now showing... but they've removed Love Train! That's incredibly frustrating because that's my favorite song on the whole album (next to Woman). Oh well, you can download it for free here anyway:

Wolfmother - Love Train

Also, this week Dimension is iTunes Single of the Week, which means you can get it free - yes, free - on iTunes, so you better get on that if you know what's good for you.

Wolfmother is coming to the Paradise in Boston on May 31st, and guess what? It's 18+. I can't go. Boston venues just really want to keep me from having fun, don't they? Hopefully they will come back again soon, either when I'm 18 (which isn't too far from now) or with an all ages show (doubtful). They are gaining popularity rather quickly and I think it's only a matter of time until they blow up and gain Strokes status. The days of cheap shows at small, intimate venues are numbered for Wolfmother, which, although excellent for the band's success, is kind of sucky for the fans because this is the best time to see them; that is, when they're still playing at venues where you can stand up against the wall and they're still only a mere thirty feet away.

This blog is going to become dangerously long if I don't end it right here - otherwise I will just continue to ramble on senselessly about other random bands that I have it hard for (yes, that was indeed an inappropriate sexual reference). On that note, adieu!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home