Tuesday, May 09, 2006

White water rafting weekend

I am still tired from my class trip this weekend, even two days after I returned home. I didn't sleep much at all, so with that on top of the little sleep I get during the week anyway, I'm more tired than usual right now. Even so, it's worth it - for the most part. I had a pretty good time, which I'll recap for you below:

We left school at around 12:30 Friday afternoon and arrived a lot earlier than I expected (around 4) at the hotel. Amanda, Morgan, Cassie and I brought our things up to our room and then went downstairs to scope out the pool. Already half of the guys on the trip were in the pool and the rest of the girls were on their way down behind us, so we decided it would be best to wait to go swimming until later when every cubic inch of the pool wasn't filled with some part of our classmates' bodies. Instead we left the hotel and ate dinner at an Asian buffet down the street (the picture at left shows our rafting group at the buffet; from left: Simon, Cassie, Chris, Nick, Morgan, myself and Amanda behind the camera) where I had possibly the worst tasting pistachio ice cream I have ever had.

Anyway, upon our return to the hotel we decided it was time to go swimming. We put on our itty bitty bathing suits (honestly, mine wouldn't be itty bitty if I could help it, but unfortunately with my body shape I bust out of any and every bathing suit there is) and went downstairs again to the pool. Everyone else was still out eating dinner around the town so the pool was completely empty, thankfully. I hadn't worn a bathing suit in public in about a year, so luckily I had enough time to get used to being nearly naked in front of people before some of our other classmates began trickling in. We must have been swimming for three or even four hours, and I was in the pool for the entire time save my three quick trips to the bathroom. We were all quite pruney when we returned to the hotel room at 10:45. The picture at the right is of my friend Cassie and I.

After a few hours of lounging on beds with friends and boys (why is it that lately whenever I sleep over somewhere, I seem to end up doing this?) and a long discussion about girlie things that are too racy to put here [sex], we finally dozed off at 1:30, only to be awoken a mere five hours later so we could get ready for our white water rafting adventure. We arrived at the headquarters at 8, where they had prepared for us a large breakfast. After our meal we put on our entire wet suit outfit, complete with "booties". This was an interesting experience. Over our bathing suits we wore a two-piece wet suit (an overall sort of thing and a jacket type thing), a windbreaker, gloves, wet suit booties, and a helmet. Needless to say it took a while to pull all of these things on ourselves. Once we were finally all dressed, we boarded the bus that would take us to the river. It was quite hot and uncomfortable in the wet suits, but I would be thankful for them later because the water was only 40°.

Finally we arrived at the river, dragged our rafts down to the shore, hopped in and were off. It was much easier and less tiring to paddle than I expected (though my arms were a little sore the next morning). We were met with some rapids rather quickly and it wasn't too long before we were all wet. I had been worried that I was going to fall out of the boat, but I think it's a lot easier to stay in the boat than it appears, as long as you wedge your foot inside. It was really fun; much like a water rollercoaster. It makes those theme park rapids rides look ridiculously tame. Anyway, we were all still hot even after being splashed countless times by the rapids, so our guide let us jump in for a little swim. It was shockingly cold at first, even with our wet suits on, but very refreshing. Unfortunately after that I wasn't able to become warm again.

After about an hour of rapids there was another hour or so of just flat, calm water. After a while of floating along I was pretty bored and ready to go back and change into warm clothes. Eventually we returned to the headquarters again where we were served a meal of steak, various salads, and some kind of really good bread. We watched a slideshow of pictures from our trip (which we should be getting sometime soon, and I will probably post them here when I do). We went back to the hotel, and... this is where the interesting part begins.

The problem with our class trip is that we were way up in Maine in the middle of nowhere, where there is absolutely nothing to do. Some people went bowling (the main attraction of Waterville) and some swam in the pool downstairs, but we were too tired to either so we just ordered two pizzas and some breadsticks and hung out in our room.

By this time we were all incredibly tired from the little sleep we got the night before and from being tossed around in 40° water all day. We bought a ton of energy drinks so we could stay awake until our curfew at 1 a.m. At first I questioned why it said "Adult Energy Drink" at the front of the bottle; now I understand. These drinks are not to be abused. Everyone was guzzling them down and acting crazy, and after the high we suddenly crashed. Badly. Literally everyone who had been drinking that stuff was in an awful, depressed mood. I was extremely irritable and angry at everyone, and I was not unique. There was quite a bit of drama as a result. We finally calmed down just enough to settle in bed to watch TV. The combination of my complete exhaustion and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (a sick movie that I absolutely loathe and despise) put me to sleep rather quickly.

I woke up at 8:30 the next morning still grumpy from the night before so I took a shower and packed all of my things. We left at 10 and I slept the entire ride home while listening to the melodious sounds of Weezer. We arrived back at the school at 1:30 and I went straight home.

Despite my crappy Saturday night, I still had a lot of fun last weekend. It was great hanging out with my friends and I got to get to know a few people better. The white water rafting was good too, of course. I'm going to attempt to catch up on my sleep tonight but I think we all know by now how likely that is. Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home