Saturday, May 20, 2006

A decent senior prom

It's one in the morning and I'm still not very tired because I've only been awake for 10 1/2 hours. Yep, I woke up at 2:30 in the afternoon. That's thirteen hours of sleep, which I'm certain is a personal record. Last night was prom night, so I think that explains why I was so tired. Overall, prom was alright. I ended up being a bit of a wallflower, which actually doesn't usually happen. I only danced a few times during the last hour of prom. The problem is I'm really picky with the songs I will dance to: no reggaeton, no really awful rap songs, no songs that tell me what to do (i.e. the Electric Slide, Cotton-Eyed Joe, the Cha Cha Slide, and so on and so forth), and no slow songs (simply because I don't have anyone to dance with during these). This leaves very few songs that I actually will dance to, given that school dances are always hip-hop——dominated.

On top of this, I wasn't in the greatest of moods, which I had been expecting long before prom was even in the near future. It's simply because I didn't have a date. At homecoming I was able to get away with not having a date because it didn't really matter, but at prom it does matter. Everyone automatically assumes that if you go to prom, you have a date. The question is, "Who are you going with?" and not, "Do you have a date?" Two underclassmen asked me who I was going to prom with and when I told them I didn't have a date, they looked at me like I was crazy. At prom, the couples stayed together the whole time. While at the dinner table, the couples would talk between themselves and I was left having to butt into their conversations. They were all good about it, mind you, but I felt awkward. And of course I felt awful having to sit there alone at the table while the couples got up to slow dance. I'm no stranger to this feeling, though. My history of school dance dates is rather unfortunate.

The highlight of my prom night happened before we even entered the hotel. TJ pulled up to the entrance of the hotel in his Sunfire convertible (we arrived at prom in style; that is, until I ruined the moment by doing the following...) to drop Morgan and I off since it was pouring rain out. He stopped parallel to a car full of old ladies who admired me as I gracefully climbed out of the backseat, only to catch the heel of my shoe on what I assume to have been the seatbelt and fall flat on my face, skinning my knee in the process. What a way to make an entrance. I got up laughing hysterically, and it took me a while to stop. Luckily I was wearing a short dress, otherwise I probably would have torn a hole at the knee. My dress did fall right at my knee, though, so a bit of blood stained the hem before I was able to get to a bathroom to wipe it off. Wow, I am laughing right now just thinking about it. That's definitely something I'm going to remember.

Overall prom was decent. I didn't get to spend as much time with my friends as I would have liked since they were all mostly occupied with their dates, but I had a good time nonetheless.

Check out this article that I was interviewed for about college debt. I had an internship through my high school at Nashoba Publishing, a company that publishes several small town newspapers in my area. The reporter asked me one day if he could interview me for the story and I obliged. There was a picture of me in the paper that went along with the article but it isn't displayed on the site, which is unfortunate because it was actually a pretty good picture. It's kind of cool because not many people can say that they've been interviewed for a newspaper article before, even if it is just for a small weekly newspaper.

Anyway, I'm going to go try to go to bed now, even though I've still only been awake for 11 1/2 hours. By the way, even though it's already 2 a.m. Sunday morning, I've changed the date and time to 11:59 p.m. on Saturday since it's still Saturday to me because I haven't gone to sleep yet. Adios.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pascual said...

Hi! Long time ago i didn't visit your blog.

I also hate reggaeton and songs that tell me what to do. Salsa rules!

About the prom without date, i remember i went to my prom without a date. At least in Chile, this ain't that bad... you're there just to enjoy with your classmates for the last time. Really. I haven't seen my whole class since that day (well, i don't want to do it either, they're just a bunch of morons).

Do you use MSN Messenger? it would be great to IM with you.

Adios

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home